In March 2017 Kenny and I did a cycle touring trip across Java. On that trip Kenny used the Ortlieb Back Roller Classic bike touring panniers. He was really impressed with their design, especially the rack mounting system. Plus, they kept all his gear dry during the monsoon storms that we cycled through during our 2 week trip.
Read on for a comprehensive review of the Ortlieb Back Roller Classic bike touring panniers.
Back Roller Classic Bike Touring Panniers: Spec Sheet
- Product name: Back-Roller Classic
- Brand name: Ortlieb
- Weight: 2x 33.5oz (2x 950g)
- Volume: 2x 20L
- Dimensions: 16H X 12W X 6D in (42H X 32W X 17D cm)
- Color options: red, black, yellow, blue, asphalt
Back Roller Classic Bike Touring Panniers: Top Features
- Hook-and-latch style mounting hardware – makes attaching and removing the panniers super easy and “fiddle”-free. The mounting system includes a hook at the top and one at the bottom. This means that the panniers don’t move around when you are on the go. The system can be easily adjusted to different rack/bike sizes. Adjustment doesn’t require the use of any tools.
- Roll-top closure system – perfectly designed to prevent water from getting through. The roll-top system also makes it easy to adjust the size of the panniers to different sizes of load.
- Fully waterproof material – the panniers are made of reinforced nylon. The material is completely mud and water proof and also very resistant to scuffing and abrasions.
- Inner pockets – there are two inner pockets in each panniers: one laptop sleeve type pocket and one zipped pocket. This is useful for storing valuables or smaller items.
- Reflective patches – large patches on either side of each pannier to stay safe when riding in the dark or in poor visibility.
Back Roller Classic Bike Touring Panniers: Where to Buy
Ortlieb Back Roller Classic Review: Conclusions
The Ortlieb Back Roller Classic bike touring panniers are very popular among bicycle touring enthusiasts. They are ultra reliable, waterproof, easy to use and very durable.
If you are looking for long-distance bike touring panniers that will keep your gear dry in harsh conditions and that will last you for many years, the Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers are a great choice.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links included in this blog post are affiliate links. This means that, at no additional cost to you, Sparks of Adventure earns a commission on purchases made through these links. Using the links included in this article is one way to support Sparks of Adventure and we thank you for that!